‘I’m not quitting on the residents.’ Flint Democrat disqualified from 70th District House race

Flint School Board President Michael Clack addresses the board during the Flint School Board meeting on Wednesday Feb. 15, 2023 at Accelerated Learning Academy in Flint, Mich. (Jenifer Veloso | Flint Beat)

FLINT, Mich. — Flint Democrat Michael Clack has been disqualified from the Aug. 4 primary election ballot, though he plans to continue his bid for the 70th District state representative seat.

Clack said his disqualification was officially announced during a May 21, 2026 hearing before Flint Probate Judge Jennie Barkey. The reason given for the disqualification was that Clack did not complete campaign finance disclosures for 2025 when he filed for the race, though Clack said he did not raise any money for his campaign that year. 

“I’m not going to quit, and I am going to run as a write-in candidate if we’re not able to get this situation reversed,” Clack told Flint Beat. “I’m not quitting on the residents. The issues in the city and the 70th District have not changed, and neither has my fight.”

In addition to paying the $100 filing fee to enter the race, Clack said he already paid the Michigan Bureau of Elections nearly $2,700 in fines for not filing the disclosures in February, after which he believed the problem had been rectified. He said he is in the process of hiring an attorney to help him challenge his disqualification.

Genesee County Clerk/Register Domonique Clemons said his office received a letter from the State of Michigan on May 14 stating Clack had not satisfied the requirements to be on the ballot due to having outstanding finance reports at the time of filing.

Clemons said paying the fine does not supersede the requirement to submit the finance reports, and that Clack needed to do both to fully qualify.

“The state administrative rules spell out that this is not something that can be corrected, because the statement that you signed — that you didn’t have any outstanding reports at the time of filing — is false, so turning in the reports afterward doesn’t change that,” Clemons said. “So as far as the election process goes, there’s not a remedy, but anybody could always file a lawsuit if they wanted.”

With Clack’s disqualification, incumbent Cynthia Neeley is the only certified Democrat candidate on the primary ballot. Larry Hutchinson and Rob Waskoviak are vying to be the Republican nominee. 

Clack, the son of former state Reps. Floyd and Brenda Clack, has run for the seat twice in the past. He has also held public office, serving on the Flint Board of Education as president and vice president in 2023 and 2024.

“The people of the 70th District deserve leadership that listens, responds, and stands firm during difficult times,” Clack said in a Facebook post. “They deserve transparency, accountability and a representative who is truly present and engaged. Voting is a precious right, and every voter deserves a process that respects their voice and protects the integrity of our elections.”

The primary election will take place Aug. 4, with the general election following on Nov. 2, 2026. The state House seat carries a two-year term.

Support local news!

Flint Beat is here to empower, impact and inform our community. Show your support today!

Monthly Yearly One-time

Choose a monthly amount

Basic
$10 /month
Basic
$100 /year
Basic
$100 /one-time
Pro
$25 /month
Pro
$500 /year
Pro
$500 /one-time
Custom Amount
$
/month

Please contact us directly for donations over $5000

Please enter an amount of $5 or above.

Minimum amount of $5
Custom Amount
$
/year

Please contact us directly for donations over $5000

Please enter an amount of $5 or above.

Minimum amount of $5
Custom Amount
$
/one-time

Please contact us directly for donations over $5000

Please enter an amount of $5 or above.

Minimum amount of $5

Please select an option

Thank you for your support!